We are thrilled to announce the inaugural year of our newest B’nai Mitzvah class!
The class will run from January 2019 until December 2019. Summer classes are optional!
The Mitzvah Class will focus on community – community service, the Jewish community, and building our own community. The class is taught by Rabbi Jamie Korngold who created it based on her years of successes leading the Adventure Class.
Our year will be filled with community service projects designed to cultivate our sense of responsibility to the world around us. We will also explore our place in the Jewish community and strengthen our community building skills as we build a cohesive and kind community of our own.
This class is ideal for the student who enjoys a social setting but prefers less outdoor oriented and strenuous models than what is offered in our Adventure Class. We still do a lot outside, but it’s less intense!
(Attend orientation and your choice of at least 8 others)
- January 25, 2019 (Friday): Orientation and Shabbat Dinner
- February 9 (Saturday): Mitzvah Service Project
- March 9 (Saturday): Mitzvah Service Project
- April 19-21 (Weekend)*: Passover Retreat with our Congregation
- May 5 (Sunday): Mitzvah Service Project
- June 2 (Sunday): Hike
- July 19 (Friday): Shabbat with our Congregation
- Aug 18 0r 25 TBD): Mitzvah Service Project
- Sept 29-30 (Sunday and Monday*): Rosh Hashanah with our Congregation
- Oct 8 (Tuesday night): Yom Kippur with our Congregation
- Oct 5 (Saturday): Mitzvah Service Project
- Nov 11 (Monday night): Mitzvah Service Project (Veterans Day)
- Dec 13 (Friday night): Closing Shabbat Dinner
*require missing school/work
Examples of Mitzvah Service Projects:
- Stream Clean-up
- Attention Homes (aid for homeless teens and teens at risk)
- Community Food Share
- Humane Society
- Park-clean up
- Help lead Jewish event at a retirement home
For those who know and love us for our outdoor tilt, don’t despair! We do all these outdoor activities:
- Camping in Moab
- Camping outside Golden for Rosh Hashanah
- June Hike
- July Outdoor Shabbat Service
- Some outdoor service projects
In addition to this class, students need 12-18 months of Hebrew lessons, which is not included in the tuition. Hebrew will be offered in two ways:
- Small groups, in-person at our office Mondays or Tuesdays with our in-house tutor Shoshana Webb
- Online privately with our tutor Janiece Gratch
$5,ooo for members of our congregation (student and 1 adult must be members)
$5,250 for non-members
- A private ceremony officiated by one of our rabbis in Boulder Co (additional charge if outside of Boulder)
- 12 classes and associated expenses
- Entrance fees for student and one adult to July Shabbat Service,
- Rosh Hashanah Retreat, Yom Kippur and Passover Retreat (meals and lodging are not included.)
Hebrew is not included.