We are thrilled to announce the inaugural year of our newest B’nai Mitzvah class!
The class will run from January 2019 until December 2019. Summer classes are optional!
The Mitzvah Class will focus on community – community service, the Jewish community, and building our own community. The class is taught by Rabbi Jamie Korngold who created it based on her years of successes leading the Adventure Class.
Our year will be filled with community service projects designed to cultivate our sense of responsibility to the world around us. We will also explore our place in the Jewish community and strengthen our community building skills as we build a cohesive and kind community of our own.
This class is ideal for the student who enjoys a social setting but prefers less outdoor oriented and strenuous models than what is offered in our Adventure Class. We still do a lot outside, but it’s less intense!
(Attend orientation and your choice of at least 8 others)
- January 25, 2019 (Friday) 4-8 pm: Orientation, “Iron Chef Shabbat Showdown” and Shabbat Dinner
Students meet with Rabbi Jamie at 4 pm for an Iron Chef-inspired experience. We will divide into two teams to cook matzah ball soup and challah. At 6 pm parents (and siblings) join us for Shabbat dinner and orientation.
- February 9 (Saturday): Morning Star Assisted Living, Shabbat Morning Sharing with Seniors. Students will bring their talents, such as music, poetry, storytelling etc. to share with the seniors. We will share our home-baked Jewish treats and sing Shabbat songs and blessings as we join together as a community. 575 Tantra Dr, Boulder, CO 80305, time tbd
- March 19 (Tuesday): Community Food Shares, Helping to End Hunger, 650 S. Taylor Ave Louisville CO 80027, 4-6:45 pm
- April 19-21 (Weekend)*: Passover Retreat with our Congregation More>>
- May 5 (Sunday): Mitzvah Service Project: We will be heading to Denver to feed the homeless! We will make sandwiches to give out as well as clothing we have collected in advance. Time Tbd but we will be done and back in Boulder by 1 pm.
Please note: the activities and dates for June-Dec are still a work in progress!
- June 2 (Sunday): Hike
- July 19 (Friday): Shabbat with our Congregation
- Aug 18 or 25 (TBD): Mitzvah Service Project
- Sept 29-30 (Sunday and Monday*): Rosh Hashanah with our Congregation More Info>>
- Oct 5 (Saturday): Mitzvah Service Project
- Oct 8 (Tuesday night): Yom Kippur with our Congregation More Info>>
- Nov 11 (Monday night): Mitzvah Service Project (Veterans Day)
- Dec 13 (Friday night): Closing Shabbat Dinner
*require missing school/work
Examples of Mitzvah Service Projects:
- Stream Clean-up
- Attention Homes (aid for homeless teens and teens at risk)
- Community Food Share
- Park-clean up
- Help lead Jewish event at a retirement home
- Collecting, Making and Distributing food and clothing to the homeless
For those who know and love us for our outdoor tilt, don’t despair! We do all these outdoor activities:
- Camping in Moab
- Camping outside Golden for Rosh Hashanah
- June Hike
- July Outdoor Shabbat Service
- Some outdoor service projects
In addition to this class, students need 12-18 months of Hebrew lessons, which is not included in the tuition. Hebrew will be offered in two ways:
- Small groups, in-person at our office Mondays or Tuesdays with our in-house tutor Shoshana Webb
- Online privately with our tutor Janiece Gratch
$5,000 for members of our congregation (student and 1 adult must be members)
$5,250 for non-members
- A private ceremony officiated by one of our rabbis in Boulder Co (additional charge if outside of Boulder)
- 12 classes and associated expenses
- Entrance fees for student and one adult to July Shabbat Service,
- Rosh Hashanah Retreat, Yom Kippur and Passover Retreat (meals and lodging are not included.)
Hebrew is not included.